UAL’s campus at King’s Cross is open as usual following an explosion in nearby Granary Square, thought to have been caused by a faulty barbecue gas canister.
The campus is hosting Kiwi House during London 2012, a social hub for friends and family of the New Zealand team, and the explosion happened during an outdoor barbecue. The area was evacuated speedily and the University is relieved that no one was injured in the incident and that there was no damage to its campus.
UAL is grateful to London Fire Brigade for its swift response and is working with the Health and Safety Executive as it investigates the explosion.
Granary Square has now reopened and no further disruption to the area is expected.