A Day of the Dead altar to celebrate and remember stars of music, film, TV and literature in 2016 is being built at UAL’s Chelsea College of Arts.
The actor Alan Rickman, a graduate of UAL’s Chelsea College of Arts, joins David Bowie, Prince, Gene Wilder, Victoria Wood, Caroline Ahern, Kenny Baker, Muhammad Ali, Ronnie Corbett, Frank Kelly, Terry Wogan, Harper Lee and Mexican singer-songwriter Juan Gabriel on the list of 13 famous figures to be remembered and celebrated this year.
Chelsea College of Arts, UAL, in conjunction with the Mexican Embassy and Anglo Mexican Foundation will host Day of the Dead Celebrations on Tuesday 1st November, 5:30 – 8pm. The event, which is open to the public, will include:
- A traditional Altar from Mexico, supplied by the Mexican Embassy, exhibiting alongside work by students from the UAL Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Foundation Students and the National Art & Design Saturday Club working with Mexican artist Demian Flores in the Triangle Space.
- A modern interpretation of the traditional altar created by Wimbledon College of Arts Students BA(Hons) Technical Arts and Special Effects students with Mexican artist Pedro Mendoza Ortega in The Henry Moore Courtyard.
- An Exhibition of work by Chelsea’s Design Research Studio 3, BA (Hons) Interior and Spatial Design working with Colin Priest (Course Leader), Takako Hasegawa (Associate Leader) and Mexican artist Mauricio Cervantes in the Cookhouse.
- Traditional Day of the Dead face painting will be provided by students from UAL’s London College of Fashion.
- The Parade Ground will host a float and performance created by UAL Chelsea’s 1st year BA (Hons) Interior and Spatial Design students and staff in collaboration with local charity Millbank Creative Works. Designed and curated by artist Francis Thorburn.
- Finale light display on the side of the building by visual artist Tupac Martir, who has previously provided production design and visuals for Elton John, Sting, Beyoncé, Coachella Music & Arts Festival and Alexander McQueen (UAL Alumni).