Fashion Colloquia Shanghai
21st and 22nd April 2015
Call for contributions
Background to the Colloquia Series
The Fashion Colloquia originated through a core network of 4 institutions, connected by their residence and involvement in the four big ‘Fashion weeks’ across the globe. These Institutions were the London College of Fashion – University of the Arts, London, Domus Academy – Milan, Institute Francais de la Mode – Paris and Parsons the New School for Design, School of Fashion, New York. As result, members of this core network used the occurrence of the fashion weeks to organise a series of colloquia taking place from 2011-2013.
Their aim was to use the fashion weeks as a catalyst to challenge understandings regarding fashion across the globe. A rich variety of contributions (from academia, media and practice) have been enjoyed at these colloquia events and many have now been uploaded to the international repository for fashion housed at the London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London.
Our Call for contributions:
The success of this first series led us to develop a second series with a new group of partners. Our second series of fashion colloquium focuses on ‘emergence’ and how each location intends to contribute to the growing importance of fashion across the globe. Our first two colloquia meetings took place in Amsterdam (with AMFI) and Accra, Ghana (with University of Ghana) in 2014. Now we would now like to introduce our next colloquia event that will be held in Shanghai at Donghua University.
Shanghai is the emerging into becoming one of the most important, diverse and strategic cities in the world and likely to become a major player for the future of fashion. Yet are the challenges facing Shanghai and China similar or distinctive from other locations across the globe? To fully engage with these areas we will host the colloquium at the newly formed Shanghai International College of Fashion and Innovation of Donghua University.
This event is being held just before Greater Donghua Fashion Week (see website). We will help/advise colleagues regarding attendance.
Fashion Colloquia Shanghai – Themes:
At each colloquium there will be a mixture of specific themes that are of particular relevance to the specific locations around the globe with a series of themes, which will allow different sets of contributions to be added and explored. Some events at each of the colloquia will be streamed ‘live’ to pre-registered users of the repository. We also aim to upload selected content from the colloquium to the repository.
We would welcome a wide variety of contributions (from workshops, academic papers, presentations, exhibitions etc.) able to respond to the following three overall themes:
• The future of fashion education across the world;
• Cultural difference for fashion education;
• The future of the fashion curriculum in light of new media;
• Fashion education for the global citizen.
• Challenges to fashion communication in the digital age;
• The influence of media and celebrities for fashion;
• The importance of seasonal fashion shows coverage;
• The value of using trend forecasting for fashion studies.
• Networks of global fashion knowledge;
• The relevance of emerging fashion capitals in a multi-disciplinary and global context;
• The perception of high/luxury fashion in a cross-cultural and trans-historical perspective;
• The diversity of fashion aesthetics within different age groups.
We are looking to invite contributions from across the world to:
1. Provide a workshop platform for local and international delegates.
2. Respond to the theme – either via exhibitions, workshops, academic papers or surprise us!
3. Explore Shanghai and attend Shanghai International Fashion Cultural Festival.
Admission to the events will be free to invited persons – however, you must register
If you are interested please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR ABSTRACT/PROPOSALS
Abstract/Proposals/contributions deadline is 30th November 2014.
Please complete author(s) details as requested:
Font: Arial font size 11
Paragraph alignment: Justified
The maximum is 500 words including title and keywords
Further details can be found at: http://scf.dhu.edu.cn/FC2015/
For further information please contact: email@example.com